Tuesday, May 13, 2008

No baby yet!

Well it has snowed here all day LONG!!! It is melting pretty fast, but I bet we got 8 inches. Things are very muddy and my alpacas look like they have taken a bath and need a good wringing out.

Daisy held off for another day and I am thankful for that. For some reason she didn't eat her pellets tonight, but she didn't want Nadine to have them either, so a spit fight ensued. Nadine ended up with the pellets and Daisy started in on the hay. She was actually up and moving about for awhile this afternoon. Maybe tomorrow will be the day. I have a little cordless camera set up in the barn with the monitor in the house so if I can't see her I just have to check my monitor. It saves a lot of time running back and forth to the barn.

We have two Anatolian Shepard guard dogs Remus (girl) and Gonzo (male). Gonzo isn't feeling well today, I think he might have pulled something in his front leg. He usually loves to run and play with Remus on the three acres that we have fenced for them, not today though. I am going to have the vet check him out when she is here to check out the baby.... whenever that might be. If he was a regular kind of dog I might put him in the car and take him down the mountain.... Anatolians really don't like leaving the place they are responsible for guarding. They also don't like riding in cars or trucks.

Gonzo is the one in front, Remus is probably looking at a bug (she likes to do that) and the alpaca is Annabelle. Of course this was last summer, right now it is all white or muddy brown!

Gonzo and Remus are great guardians, we do have bears, mountain lions, coyotes, foxes and regular neighborhood dogs. Remus likes to bark at lots of things, like diesel trucks coming up the road, but if Gonzo barks it is probably worth checking on. Last summer I was feeding in the boys barn and heard him barking, so I checked it out, and there was a bear coming down the hill. Of course I gave him lots of praise for chasing off the bear and I swear he was smiling! Seriously though they really do take their jobs seriously, they don't leave the pasture area, they are not house pets. Remus doesn't like thunder and lightning she visibly shakes and tries to hide between your legs. I have long legs and she is a big dog, its kinda like going for a horse back ride.

Tomorrow the weather should be better, but 60% chance of rain for Thursday. Maybe tomorrow will be the day for Daisy.


No comments: